The next day I was informed that my blood test results had now shown the infection I had caught was a very rare case in the UK of Listeria Meningitis. This is a horrible infection that usually affects new born, pregnancy or the elderly with immature or failing immune systems. That unfortunate unlucky individual was me, and somehow contracted this fast effecting bacteria possibly from contaminated foods consumed within the previous few weeks.
However I can take such a negative and turn to a positive for this reason. If our little James had not passed away which may have been a few days before, this would not have indicated the signs there was something seriously wrong, this awful infection could have then gone into my blood resulting in serious complications and possibly then taking my life. This infection moved at a fast pace and attacked quickly, without much warning or signs that related to listeria. If by sharing my experience and creating some awareness of the possible symptoms that I felt before and during this period, this could save a life rather than taking one. Not for one moment did I ever think that having general aches and pains would have ended in this way.
He is our special little baby Angel that saved his mummy's life, who gave me the strength and courage to be brave so I could get through this life event. James will continue to live on in & be very close to our hearts but hoping to mainly be remembered by working closely with MRF charity to share our personal journey & James' story, help raise awareness, prevention and enable further research to be carried out.
Written by: Beverley Carroll