Meningitis Research Foundation (MRF) is reminding people to be alert to the symptoms of meningitis and septicaemia, after a 24 year old, Michelle Whyte from Fife, Scotland, has tragically died from meningococcal meningitis.
NHS Fife identified those who had been in close contact to provide antibiotics as a precaution.
Rob Dawson, Director of Support at MRF said, “We are saddened to learn that a 24 year old, named as Michelle Whyte, has died from meningococcal meningitis. Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends. We’re here to help anyone affected by meningitis and septicaemia.
“We encourage everyone to take up the offer of the vaccines that are included in routine immunisation schedules to protect themselves and their families. However, there are not yet vaccines available to prevent all forms of the disease so it is vital that people are aware of the symptoms.
“The meningococcal bacteria are transmitted from person to person by close contact with others such as coughing, sneezing, kissing etc, but usually we have to be in very close or regular contact with someone for the bacteria to pass between us. Even when this happens, most of us will not become ill because we have natural immunity.”
Anyone with questions or concerns can call the free MRF helpline on 080 8800 3344 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The helpline hours are Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm.