November 2014 - MenW cases rising in the UK
The Library has been instrumental in establishing that a recent rise in MenW cases since 2009 belong to ST-11 (cc-11), a particularly virulent sequence type with a high case fatality rate.
You can read the Clinical Infectious Diseases paper here
The data was also presented at the IPNC conference in October 2014 (see Scientific presentations below).
The project will produce an online, open-access database that any researcher in the world can use and update. Data from the library will be used by researchers to investigate meningococcal genetics in greater detail.
This library will be an international hub for meningococcal genomic information and represents a world first in providing the genome sequences for a whole epidemiological year of meningococcal isolates.Publications referencing the MRF library:
- Hubert, K., et al. ZnuD, a potential candidate for a simple and universal Neisseria meningitidis vaccine. Infect Immun, 2013. 81(6): p. 1915-27.
- Lucidarme, J., et al., The Distribution and Phase Variation Status of Haemoglobin Receptors in Invasive Meningococcal Serogroup B Disease: Genotypic and Phenotypic Analysis. PLoS One, 2013. 8(9): p. e76932.
- Oldfield, N.J., et al., Prevalence and Phase Variable Expression Status of Two Autotransporters, NalP and MspA, in Carriage and Disease Isolates of Neisseria meningitidis. PloS One, 2013. 8(7): p. e69746.
- Clark S et al Genotypic Analysis of Meningococcal Factor H-binding Protein from Non-Culture clinical Specimens PLoS One 2014 9(2): e89921. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0089921
- Wormann ME et al Sequence, distribution and chromosomal context of class I and class II pilin genes of Neisseria meningitidis identified in whole genome sequences BMC Genomics 2014 15:253 doi 10.1186/1471-2164-15-253
- Brehony C et al Differential Age Distribution of Disease-associated Meningococcal Lineages - Implications for Vaccine Development Clin Vacc Imm 2014 doi 10.1128/CVI.00133-14
- Bennett JS et al Identifying Neisseria Species by Use of the 50S Ribosomal Protein L6 (rplF) Gene J Clin Micro 2014 52(5): 1375 DOI 10.1128/JCM.03529-13
- Ladhani S et al Increase in endemic Neisseria meningitidis capsular group W ST-11 complex associated with severe invasive disease in England and Wales Clin Inf Dis 2014 doi:10.1093/cid/ciu881
Talk: ‘The Meningitis Research Foundation Meningococcal Genome Library’ & Poster: ‘Group B meningococcal vaccine candidacy of haemoglobin receptors based on distribution and phase variable status’ by Dr Jay Lucidarme at Neisseria Vaccines meeting, Varadero,19th May 2013
• Poster: ‘Genetic distribution of 4CMenB antigens in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, 2010-2012 - the Meningitis Research Foundation Meningococcal Genome Library’ by Dr Jay Lucidarme at
Merseyside supports the Library
We were delighted to receive a generous donation of £41,410 from the Meningitis Merseyside Support Group towards the MRF Meningococcus Genome Library. Read the full story