Donate online today. €150 buys 20 packs for GP surgeries

Tell your story

Help raise awareness, share your story in the Book of Experience

Need Support? Find out more about our helpline services

Joanne Louise Williams

Sepsis meningitis at 34

Sepsis meningitis

It all started two weeks after I had my daughter Bethan, I got pneumonia and spent a few days in hospital.

Then when she was seven weeks old I complained of a sore throat for about a week then on 11th October 2008 I woke feeling a little sick.

As the morning went on I felt more sick and felt I couldn’t look after both of my children so telephoned my husband to come home from work.  He did and I went off to bed, by then my head was getting really painful. I also started to be sick. A lot!!!

I woke up on my landing so crawled back to bed; I was now very hot and the pain in my head neck arms and legs was very bad.  I then started to throw up blood and my breathing became very erratic. We called NHS Direct who advised me to go to A&E.

I was seen very quickly and then moved to resusc where it was explained to me they wanted to put a tube down for the night to give me a rest as I was getting very tired. At this point I only thought my pneumonia was back. I was transferred to the critical care unit within University Hospital North Tees.

My family were told I had a massive massive pneumonia and septicaemia throughout my system and advised them to allow a drug called Xygris which I stayed on for 90 hours.

I was on a ventilator for 11 days and stayed in critical care for two weeks.

When I woke I had lost all movement from the neck down and had to undergo a lot of physio. I was discharged from hospital on the 15th November.

I am happy to say I don’t have any lasting effects from the septicaemia, but do have a lovely scar at the side of my mouth from the ventilator which I don’t mind because it’s part of my history!! I did have memory problems for a year and can’t remember the early parts of my daughter’s life but that is all coming back now.