Posted by kim butler on 15 April 2014
Hi my name is Kim Butler and I am currently a 4th year student in St Nicholas Montessori College Ireland. I am in the process of completing my dissertation and I have chosen to research the effects meningitis has on the processing skills. I have chosen this has a have a huge interest in finding out more detail about the illness of meningitis and what the different effects it has had on other people.
Back into august 2009 I became very ill and was brought to Mullingar hospital and was diagnosed with invasive meningococcal bacterial meningitis. I was in intensive care for the first 5 days and then was moved to a general wards for the remaining 10 days. During my fifteen days in hospital I was treated with medication every four hours. When I got home I still had a long road to recovery as I lost the hearing in one of my ears so I was over and back to Tullamore for nearly a year getting check-ups. This was only one of my after effects it took me up to the Easter to return back to school for a full day and at that I find school very difficult in retaining information, reading and keeping my attention as I was extremely tired. From the time I got back to school I was diagnosed with having severe dyslexia and was given a reader for the remainder of my exams. Since my illness I have always been very interested in meningitis and what to learn more about it and its effects.
I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to fill out my questionnaire and if you would like to help me further or email me your answers throw email my address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I would really appreciate it for your help.
All details are strictly confidential and will only be used for the purpose of completing my dissertation.
1) How old were you when you were affected by meningitis?
2) What type of meningitis did you have?
3) When recovery from meningitis how long did it take to you to get back to your normal self?
4) How did the meningitis affect you?
5) Are any of these effects long term?
6) Do these effects affect you through physical development or cognitive development today?
7) If yes, what are the challenges you are faced with?
8) Do you think that meningitis has affected you academically?
9) Have your teachers implemented any strategies that benefit you academically eg. Learning support.......etc
10) Since meningitis do you find certain things harder such as school work, keeping up with your friends?
11) If there is any other information you would like to share please do?
12) Have you any else to add?
Thank you very much for your time and sharing your story with me.