Amrit had various tests including a CT scan and chest x-ray which initially pointed to pneumonia. The doctors told us there was some brain damage but they weren't sure of the extent. I remember discussing with my husband any changes we might have to make to the house to accommodate any disability Amrit might face.
Doctors continued to carry out tests for metabolic disorder, pneumonia and TB. On Wednesday, Amrit was stable enough to have the lumbar puncture. She also had an MRI scan which showed severe brain damage. The consultant regularly updated us but I remember there came a point when I had had enough of their negative attitude. I told them they were not to speak like that near Amrit as I was convinced she could still hear us. I also didn't want to hear what they were saying because, up until my little girl died, I believed in miracles. I asked them to talk to my husband in future. My husband and I, with our youngest son, stayed with Amrit during the day and my oldest son would visit after school. The boys would return home with their father at night while I stayed at Amrit's bedside. This time was very precious to me as it was time between me and my beautiful little girl when I willed her to pull through night after night. It was Wednesday night and my sister was stopping at the hospital with me when we noticed Amrit open her eyes very briefly. It was a magical moment and I gained more faith that she was going to be OK. Unfortunately, Amrit's condition began to deteriorate after that.
By Friday night, the doctors wanted to see if Amrit could breathe for herself and wanted to take her off the ventilator. Unfortunately, she had trouble and was put back on the ventilator.
By Saturday, the severity of the situation finally hit me. Meningitis had been confirmed and the consultant said they were going to withdraw all care by Monday if Amrit continued to make no progress. I remember breaking down for the first time that week in my husband's arms. I stayed with Amrit but it was evident her condition was deteriorating because she became very distressed when anyone touched her. I was heartbroken and could not stay with Amrit that night, my husband stayed with her.
On Sunday morning, my husband came home and said Amrit was worse during the night. We returned to the hospital and asked to see the consultant. We asked him if Amrit could be taken off the ventilator sooner rather than later as we could not bear to see her in pain. It was decided the consultant would come back later that night when all the visitors had gone.