At six the next morning Andrew collapsed and was fitting; his body was covered in a blotchy, deep red rash. As I dialled 999 he stopped breathing and I began CPR. Sadly he was announced dead at 8am that morning.
It took a long time to get the cause of death but it was finally confirmed as pneumococcal bacteria resulting in septicaemia, causing complete organ failure. I wish I had been aware that glandular fever could put Andrew at risk and that no rash does not mean it is not meningitis or septicaemia.
I came to MRF in a quest to find out more and to understand what happened. I need to be able to explain to my son Alastair, now 11, (pictured) what happened and why. I was very angry that I hadn't thought of meningitis – my mother had contracted it as a baby and had lost her hearing as result, but I didn't think it would happen to a man in the prime of his life.
I am now planning to run my first 10K in September for the organisation and I use twitter and my blog to raise awareness.
Written by: Victoria MacDonald