When our house mate Dauda, or as we knew him 'D', suffered from vomiting and diarrhoea, we were pretty sure it was food poisoning and we were so casual about how to handle it. He was too, he was training to be a doctor and even he was confident it could not be something as serious as meningitis.
A few hours in, we had to dress him and take him to hospital because he felt so poorly. We had phoned NHS Direct who told us to give him some paracetamol and make sure he rested, so we were unsure that taking him to hospital was the right decision.
We waited in A&E for two hours before we were seen. His condition worsened but nobody would tell us what was going on as we weren't immediate family.