Donate monthly. Set up a standing order online

Tell your story

Help raise awareness, share your story in the Book of Experience

Need Support? Find out more about our helpline services

John Wood

Bacterial Meningitis at 44

Bacterial Meningitis

I contracted meningoencephalitis in late April 2012 (the 24th to be exact). We had had a great weekend with friends and perhaps a bit too much alcohol. I felt a bit run down on the Monday and then on the Tuesday felt just about OK. I was up and sending emails at 6.30am! I ate around 9am and started feeling very strange. The only way I could describe it was feeling ‘disassociated’ from myself. I was unable to think straight or make any sense of anything.

My wife rushed me into the GP's surgery for a 10am appointment where apparently I collapsed and started fitting. I was rushed into A&E where they did a number of tests, CT scan, blood tests, MRI scan and many more. I don't remember any of this though I'm told I was fighting / resisting the doctors and medics. I was placed in an induced coma and further tests were done. The final diagnosis being meningoencephalitis. I also had a suspected heart attack whilst in the coma, though I'm due to go for a definitive series of heart tests towards the end of June.

I was brought out of the coma six days later and spent a further five days on various wards recovering. The hardest thing to come to terms with is the speed of this illness; from being completely healthy to being in an induced coma was basically 36 hours.

I feel extremely lucky to have come out with minimal after effects. I have some memory loss and get confused easily, I have a sore throat which has lasted a couple of weeks (I suspect this is due to being intubated) and a very sore back which is easing day by day.

The symptoms I had were feeling as if I had the onset of flu, with a slight fever. I didn't (as far as I recall) have a severe headache or an aversion to light, but my wife tells me I went to bed early the day before, complaining of feeling very run down and that the day of the collapse she had to help me dress. I only recall bits and pieces of the Monday/Tuesday.

When in ICU and under the induced coma I had some very strange, horrid hallucinations, due to the morphine and other medication they had given me. But as they brought me out of the coma I started to get back into the real world, though I did manage to confuse what one nurse told me when she gave me a load of tablets to take and I swear she told me to put eight small tablets in my ears, which I mulled over for a good 10 minutes. But as I'd been such a fractious patient whilst there and had now decided to turn over a new leaf,  I didn't question her and did place four tablets in each ear, only for her to return some time later and ask me why I had tablets in my ears!

Four weeks on, I am on six tablets a day – rest assured taken orally and not in my ears – still feel a bit unsteady and confused at times but once my back pain has gone, which it is doing, slowly, and the sore throat is sorted out I should be back to full health (fingers crossed!).

JUNE 2012