Donate online today. €150 buys 20 packs for GP surgeries

Tell your story

Help raise awareness, share your story in the Book of Experience

Need Support? Find out more about our helpline services

Dorothy Dunn

Rarer types of meningitis at 52

Rarer types of meningitis

On 12th February 2004 I was on such a high because my first grandchild was born, a beautiful baby girl named Becca.

Three weeks later I started to have severe headaches. I got an emergency appointment with a GP and the doctor gave me some painkillers. The headaches continued and I also became sick. My partner, Ken, took me to the Health Centre on Tuesday night and I was given tablets for my sinuses. I continued to be very sick the next day, so Ken took me back to the Health Centre on Wednesday night. I was given antibiotics and told it was probably my sinuses.

On Thursday I felt very ill and even said to a friend of mine that I was with the doctor last night and I might have thought I had meningitis.

The pain became very severe at 5.30pm and I started feeling pain going down my spine. I knew there had to be something seriously wrong. We phoned the doctor but he refused to come out and Ken took me there. By this time I could not really communicate and just wanted to lie down. I could hear the doctor asking me questions but I could not answer him. He told Ken he could not get any sense out of me and thought it was a migraine. I was given diazepam tablets to take home. Ken refused to take me home and demanded that I should be sent to hospital. The doctor reluctantly agreed. Ken took me to hospital in the car and I was admitted straight away.

In the hospital ward, doctors kept asking me questions but I was unable to answer. At this stage I was semi-conscious. Next morning I was taken for a brain scan and then a lumbar puncture. I was diagnosed with meningitis and moved to a single room. Treatment began straight away that Friday but by the next Wednesday I was still not responding to the treatment. Test results then came back from Birmingham to say I had Herpes Simplex meningitis, which is a very rare form.

I was in hospital for a month. Getting back on my feet was quite slow but I made a good recovery. I have numbness at my right temple. No-one knows why, but it does not affect my day-to-day health.

I am back working at my job as a scheme co-ordinator for the elderly. I feel my work helped me to get back on my feet and I had very good support from my employers. I also got great support from the Meningitis Research Foundation team in Belfast.

I know that without medicines being available I would not be here. I try to do as much fundraising as I can because it is an awful disease.

At 52, I feel that I was not taken seriously about my illness because of my age. Meningitis is perceived as a young person's illness. I still get quite traumatised about it but I am really grateful that Ken did not allow me to be sent home with two diazepam tablets. He saved me. I am glad I am here today to tell my story.

This story is dedicated to Ken, who sadly passed away in February 2009.