Donate monthly. Set up a standing order online

Tell your story

Help raise awareness, share your story in the Book of Experience

Need Support? Find out more about our helpline services

Danielle Hull

Meningococcal disease at 17

Meningococcal disease

I had a cold for about a week, it was just the usual type of cold – runny nose, chesty cough, feeling tired and headaches. I was 17 and had just begun my AS level exams.

Soon after my first exam I began to feel a lot better. However I woke up the following Friday morning feeling a lot worse. I felt very shivery and really tired. My body felt as if it ached everywhere.

Trying to ignore my symptoms, as I had some serious revision to be getting on with, I more or less dragged myself to the shower. It was not until after my shower that I noticed some strange marks on the back of my leg. They were dark red/purple in colour. I had heard of meningitis but nothing more and I didn't make the connection.

I went downstairs and mentioned that I wasn't feeling well to my Mum. I then just went to lie down on the sofa as my head was pounding. My Mum came and checked on me a few minutes later and started asking me how I felt etc. As soon as I mentioned the rash though, she went into overdrive, rushing to get a glass and rolling it over my skin. My headache was so bad by now I couldn't bear to open my eyes. My Mum rang the doctors and they told her to bring me to the surgery immediately.

On arrival, I was checked over by the doctor, who then rang an ambulance. I was given a penicillin injection there and then. I was feeling really drowsy by now, and the next few hours passed in a blur.

I was taken by ambulance to Norfolk and Norwich hospital and on the way I was given oxygen and my blood pressure was monitored.

When I arrived I was put in a side room in the emergency medical assessment unit and underwent what seemed like endless tests: blood samples, CT scans, lumbar punctures, and by this time, the rash had spread.

I can't really remember very much of my first few days in hospital; I was treated with intravenous antibiotics several times a day for two weeks for suspected meningococcal meningitis (which was confirmed several days after I began treatment). I got out of hospital the day after my last exam.

After my time in hospital I was left very weak, I had lost a lot of weight – over a stone – and I had to attend several check-ups. I missed nearly all of my exams, my eyesight was damaged and I have a scar on my leg, but other than that I have made a full recovery and I feel very very lucky.